Saturday, February 21, 2009

how to take thyroid meds

who knew??

6. Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

I started taking a cal/mag pill in the morning about an hour after my thyroid pill. I take a whole passel of pills in the morning when I eat breakfast. I usually take my cal/mag at night, but decided to up the dosage to the recommended amount of 3 with one taken in the morning. I saw my energy dip, which could have been due to a number of other things too, but the last two days I have felt better throughout the day while taking my cal/mag pill at lunch. And, my alfalfa, I can't take that either with the iron levels of it being high. I should check the new hair growth supplement my doctor ok'ed as well. Maybe I'll just opt to take most of my passel at lunch. Lesson learned~!

Here's more insight from a fave newsletter on thyroid health: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/thyroiddrugs/ht/takemeds.htm

1 comment:

Violeta Corona said...

I am 26 yrs old and for the past year I have been feeling extremely fatigued and lethargic. I didn't have the energy to do anything. So I decided to do my own research and I figured it was my thyroid. So I decided to buy some bovine thyroid supplements . I have been using it for about a week and a few days....and for the first time in a long time, I feel normal again.