Thursday, January 8, 2009

Some of my anti-yeast diet recomendations

I can't have dairy, soy, corn, peanut, any grain, fruit, vinegar, processed oils, sugar or alcohol. Normally you can have eggs, soy and some dairy, but since I'm allergic to both, I can't.Before starting this diet, I used to have eggs cooked with a mix of veggies almost everyday for breakfast, which is why my body probably developed the allergy to them.

So, now I have soup usually once a day. I made a big pot of beef vegetable last week and sometimes eat it for breakfast if I know I'm gonna be out for lunch. My fave soup is stew beef, biggest can of tomato sauce, half can or so of water, whole head of chopped cabbage. I brown the beef and put it in the crock with the sauce, water and cabbage and let it cook. Then I add frozen green beans, peas and carrots. I usually like lima beans too but I'm limited to a cup of beans a day. I put the soup in bags and eat it from the fridge or freeze it. When I heat it up, I add some butter for more flavor. We use grass-fed butter from where we buy our beef online. It does taste a lot better than regular butter too.

The other soup I like is a recipe from my friend Rhonda: slice and brown natural sausage (like Kielbasa). I found one that is HEB brand here. Drain and add into a pot with a carton of organic chicken broth (4 cups I believe). Add 2 cans of cannelli beans and 10-16oz of frozen spinach. You can vary this recipe and use chicken instead and use different types of beans. If you can have cauliflower, you can buy fresh or frozen, and puree it. I put a whole package of pureed cauliflower in my last batch and it adds so much flavor without tasting cauliflower-ish, lol.

I put about 2-3T. sun-dried tomato-based tapenade from here: http://www.totalharvest.com/ with a cup of canned black beans that have been cooked with onions and garlic (canned). I found this tapenade at Whole Foods and got it because it doesn't have vinegar. It's really yummy~!!!! I have another jar of traditional that I haven't tried yet. There is also a sun-dried tapenade from Meditalia, that I have put in with the beans too.

Sometimes I have leftover italian roast that I can put in with the beans too. (roast recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Roast-Beef-I/Detail.aspx )

I mash up an avocado and sprinkle lemon juice on it. I put it in 2 large or 3 smaller slices of meat. I have found some lunch meat without sugar.

Raw veggies dipped in hummus. I like black olive or garlic ones the most. Or with nut butter. I got almond butter and raw cashew butter.

If we have burgers, the Meditalia tapenade is a decent substitute for ketchup. You can also use broiled tomatoes with butter, salt and pepper.

Another thing I eat is grilled eggplant or zucchinni (our HEB has them in the frozen veggie section) OR sauteed spinach, as a substitute for pasta. I have found a few sauces without sugar. Italian Roast is good with this too. One of my favorite sauces is the Rao's eggplant one: http://www.raos.com/sauces/sauces.htm

Dinners haven't changed a whole lot for us. We've eaten low carb for 6 years now. Lots of steamed veggies already here. If I make a meat entree I can't have, I have made sauteed scallops or shrimp. I also like eating cold shrimp (defrosted cooked) with melted butter. I snack on nuts and always carry them with me in case hunger hits. Raw cashews, walnuts and almonds. And I added coconut chips, big flakes of coconut they sell at Whole Foods.

I was also allowed to eat coconut milk which is good chilled with a bit of stevia. On month 2, I was allow to add unsweetened cocoa. As far as drinks, I can have water or herbal tea. I like the blueberry one or the peach ones the best. After 2 months though, I've gotten used to drinking just water. Or maybe it's not a bigger deal because I can have fruit now? I do like ice cold water now though and never have.

After 30 days, I was allowed to add brown rice and fruit (minus melon and bananas) to my diet, which I make in a big batch and keep it in the fridge. I've become a bit of a rice snob and love one certain blended brand, Lundberg Jubilee. http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_nf_jubilee.aspx

I then heat up a serving of rice, add a bit of butter and fruit. Strawberries, peaches, raspberries and blackberries are my faves. Sliced apples sprinked with cinnamon is also really yumo.

Canyon Foods also makes excellent soups. I like to add cooked chopped chicken breast, beans and corn to the Tortilla one. And, I just tried the Zuppa Di Nonna one yesterday with some added chicken. It was delicious~!

2 comments:

Derevaun said...

So glad to have found your blog. I have not had a thyroid for 16 years and I just discovered coconut oil. Oh my goodness. I crave sweets like crazy and now I could really care less. I actually cook with it, put it in my coffee and make a coconut oil 'fudge'. Do your own research. I like tropical traditions.

Kate said...

I love Tropical Traditions coconut oil. It's flavor is the best out of many brands I have tried. My husband hates coconut so I gave up trying to cook with it for the family, but I do love it too.